This page is meant to serve as a communal resource on community organizing. Unlike the other resource pages that are divided by source, this page is organized by topic, as 'community organizing' is a very broad field with much exciting research. While I have done my best to stay as up-to-date and comprehensive as possible, please feel free to make any suggestions! There are so many resources on community organizing, this is merely a brief, brief glimpse. To view articles and abstracts, click on any of the titles.
If you find that the resources below greatly aid you in your endeavors, please consider contributing to the page and/or sending me a message! Happy reading!
DEFINING COMMUNITY ORGANIZING
Identifying community organizing as distinct from other social practices, such as community development.
- Capraro, J. (2004). Community Organizing + Community Development = Community Transformation. Journal of Urban Affairs, 26(2), 151-161.
- Fisher, R., & DeFilippis, J. (2015). Community Organizing in the United States. Community Development Journal, 50(3), 363-379.
- Fisher, R., & Shragge, E. (2000). Challenging Community Organizing: Facing the 21st Century. Journal of Community Practice, 8(3), 1-19.
- iller, S. M., Rein, M., & Levitt, P. (1995). Community Action in the United States. Community Development Journal, 25(4), 356-368.
- Rothman, J., & Tropman, J. E. (1987). Models of Community Organization and Macro Practice: Their Mixing and Phasing. In F. M. Cox, J. L. Erlich, J. Rothman, & J. E. Tropman (Eds.), Strategies of Community Organization, 4th Edition (pp. 3-26). Itasca, IL: Peacock.
- Sites, W., Chaskin, R. J., & Parks, V. (2007). Reframing Community Practice for the 21st Century: Multiple Traditions, Multiple Challenges. Journal of Urban Affairs, 29(5), 519-541.
- Speer, P. W., & Hughey, J. (1995). Community Organizing: An Ecological Route to Empowerment and Power. American Journal of Community Psychology, 23(5), 729-748.
- Stoecker, R. (2010, September 2). Has the Fight Gone Out of Organizing? Shelter Force. Retrieved from http://www.shelterforce.org/article/1983/has_the_fight_gone_out_of_organizing/
HISTORIES OF COMMUNITY ORGANIZING
- Martinson, M., & Su, C. (2012). Contrasting Organizing Approaches: The “Alinsky Tradition” and Freirian Organizing Approaches. In M. Minkler (Ed.), Community Organizing and Community Building for Health and Welfare (pp. 59-77). New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press.
- Rubin, H. J., & Rubin, I. S. (1991). A Thumbnail Sketch of the History of Community Organizing. In Community Organizing and Development, 2nd Edition. Prentice Hall.
- Alinsky, S. D. (1946). Reveille for Radicals. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Alinsky, S. D. (1971). Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals. New York, NY: Random House.
- Dobson, C. (2004, January 31). Winning Ways of Alinsky and Ghandi. The Tyee, Retrieved from http://thetyee.ca/Citizentoolkit/2004/01/31/Winning_Ways_of_Alinksy_and_Gandhi/
CESAR CHAVEZ, DOLORES HUERTA, AND THE UNITED FARMWORKERS
- M. T. Garcia (Ed.). (2008). A Dolores Huerta Reader. Las Cruces: University of New Mexico Press.
- Orosco, J. (2008). Cesar Chavez and the Common Sense of Nonviolence. Albuquerque, NM: University of New Mexico Press.
- Stavans, I. (2008). Cesar Chavez: An Organizer’s Tale. Penguin Books.
- Stall, S., & Stoecker, R. (1998). Community Organizing or Organizing Community? Gender and the Crafts of Empowerment. Gender & Society, 12(6), 729-756.
ORGANIZING IN A DIVERSE SOCIETY
- Bradshaw, C., Soifer, S., & Gutierrez, L. (1994). Toward a Hybrid Model for Effective Organizing in Communities of Color. Diversity and Development in Community Practice, 1(1), 25-41.
- Erlich, J., & Rivera, F. (1992). Community Organizing in a Diverse Society. Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Gutierrez, L. M., & Lewis, E. A. (1994). Community Organizing with Women of Color: A Feminist Approach. Journal of Community Practice, 1(2), 23-44.
- Gutierrez, L. M., & Lewis, E. A. (2012). Education, Participation, and Capacity Building in Community Organizing with Women of Color. In M. Minkler (Ed.), Community Organizing and Community Building for Health and Welfare, Third Edition (pp. 215-228). New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Hyde, C. A. (2004). Gendered Perceptions of Community Needs and Concerns. Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, 8(4), 45-65.
- Rivera, F. G., & Erlich. J. L. (1997). Community Organizing in a Diverse Society (3rd Edition). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Salomon, L. R. (2003). Roots of Justice: Stories of Organizing in Communities of Color. San Francisco: John Wiley & Sons.
- Young Laing, B. (2009). A Critique of Rothman’s and Other Standard Community Organizing Models: Toward Developing a Culturally Proficient Community Organizing Framework. Community Development, 40(1), 20-36.
- Minkler, M. (Ed.). (2012). Community Organizing and Community Building for Health and Welfare, Third Edition. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Sen, R. (2003). Stir It Up: Lessons in Community Organizing and Advocacy. San Franciso, CA: Jossey-Bass.