This page is meant to serve as a communal resource on health, planning, and activism in U.S.-Mexico colonias. While I have done my best to stay as up-to-date and comprehensive as possible, please feel free to make any suggestions! I have tried to limit the resources to policy- and planning-relevant topics. To view articles and abstracts, click on any of the titles.
If you find that the resources below greatly aid you in your endeavors, please consider contributing to the page and/or sending me a message! Happy reading!
- Will Livesley-O'Neill (December 3, 2015). "CDC Spotlight: A Holistic Approach to Housing in Brownsville" Texas Housers.
- Alexa Ura (March 3, 2015) "State Waits for Directions to Declassify Colonias" The Texas Tribune.
- Manny Fernandez and Clifford Krauss. (June 29, 2014) "Boom Meets Bust in Texas: Atop Sea of Oil, Poverty Digs In" The New York Times
- Alexa Ura (Feb. 24, 2014) "A Focus on Helping Colonias Residents with Health Law" The Texas Tribune
- Eli Saslow (Nov. 9, 2013) "Too Much of Too Little" The Washington Post
- Corrie MacLaggan (Sept. 6, 2013) "Hidalgo County Fights to Ensure Census Counts Everyone" The Texas Tribune
- Emily Ramshaw (Jul. 10 2011) "Conditions, Health Risks Sicken Colonias Residents" The Texas Tribune
- Emily Ramshaw (Jul. 9, 2011) "Major Health Problems Linked to Poverty" The New York Times
- Emily Ramshaw (Jul. 7, 2011) "Improvement Comes Up Short in South Texas Colonias" The New York Times
- Alex Hannaford (Feb. 26, 2011) "Destitution North of the Border" The Atlantic
- Stephanie Elizondo Griest (Sept. 12, 2010) "Rebel Defends the Forgotten People of Texas' Colonias" Dallas News
- Miriam Axel-Lute (Jul./Aug. 1995) "In Their Own Hands: Colonias Unite" National Housing Institute
- Durst, N. J. (2014). Municipal Annexation and the Selective Underbounding of Colonias in Texas' Lower Rio Grande Valley. Environment and Planning A, 46(7), 1699-1715.
- Durst, N. (2014). Landlords and Tenants in Informal 'Colonia' Settlements in Texas. Housing Studies, 29(2), 198-214.
- Jepson, W., & Lee Brown, H. (2014). 'If No Gasoline, No Water': Privatizing Drinking Water Quality in South Texas Colonias. Environment and Planning A, 46(5), 1032-1048.
- Durst, N., & Ward, P. M. (2013). Measuring Self-Help Home Improvements in Texas Colonias: A Ten Year 'Snapshot' Study. Urban Studies, Online, 1-17.
- HAC. (2013). Rural Research Report: Housing in Border Colonias. Washington, D.C.: Housing Assistance Council. [Link to PDF]
- Mukhija, V., & Mason, D. R. (2013). Reluctant Cities, Colonias and Municipal Underbounding in the US: Can Cities be Convinced to Annex Poor Enclaves? Urban Studies, 50(14), 2959-2975.
- Giusti, C., & Estevez, L. (2011). Microlending for Housing in the United States. A Case Study in Colonias in Texas. Habitat International, 35(2), 307-315.
- Ward, P. M., De Souza, F., Giusti, C., & Larson, J. E. (2011). El Título en La Mano: The Impact of Titling Programs on Low-Income Housing in Texas Colonias. Law & Social Inquiry, 36(1), 1-82.
- Mukhija, V., & Monkkonen, P. (2007). What's in a Name? A Critique of 'Colonias' in the United States. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 31(2), 475-488.
- Donelson, A. (2004). The Role of NGOs and NGO Networks in Meeting the Needs of US Colonias. Community Development Journal, 39(4), 332-334. [Link to PDF]
- Larson, J. E. (2002). Informality, Illegality, and Inequality. Yale Law & Policy Review, 20(1), 137-182.
- Ward, P. M., & Carew, J. (2001). Tracking Land Ownership in Self-Help Homestead Subdivisions in the United States: The Case of Texas "Colonias". Land Use Policy, 18, 165-178. [Link to PDF]
- Ward, P. M., & Carew, J. (2000). Absentee Lot Owners in Texas Colonias: Who Are They, and What Do They Want? Habitat International, 24, 327-345. [Link to PDF]
- Davies, C. S., & Holz, R. K. (1992). Settlement Evolution of 'Colonias' along the US-Mexico Border: The Case of the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas. Habitat International, 16(4), 119-142.
BOOKS and book sections
- Ward, P. M. (2014). Chapter 3: The Reproduction of Informality in Low-Income Self-Help Housing Communities. In V. Mukhija & A. Loukaitou-Sideris (Eds.), The Informal American City: From Taco Trucks to Day Labor (pp. 59-78). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Donelson, A. J., & Esparza, A. X. (Eds.). (2010). The Colonias Reader: Economy, Housing, and Public Health in U.S.-Mexico Border Colonias. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press.
- Esparza, A. X., & Donelson, A. J. (2008). Colonias in Arizona and New Mexico: Border Poverty and Community Development Solutions. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press.
- Ward, P. M. (1999). Colonias and Public Policy in Texas and Mexico: Urbanization by Stealth. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press.